Truth is, for both guys and gals, licking your lips is definitely not the way to savor your smile. While your saliva helps you clean your mouth and digest your food, it also dries your lips. So, take note when that tongue takes a stroll. Here are some tested tips to keep your lips soft.
It’s the balm!
To be clear, we’re talking about lip balm.
- Choose a balm you’re comfortable with. Ones with the simplest ingredients, like mineral oil, petroleum jelly, aloe vera, and beeswax, are best; Camphor or menthol can irritate sensitive skin.
- Apply often, especially in extreme temperatures, winter wind, and summer sun. Lip balm with sunscreen is good when outdoors. SPF 15 or 20 is the norm, but certain brands contain SPF 30.
- Add lip care to your nighttime routine. Apply balm before bed to counteract mouth breathing or night drip. Drooling is drying.
- Avoid balms with scents and silicone. They’re known moisture-suckers.
The wetter, the better
- Staying hydrated is healthy in so many ways, even for your lips. Drink the recommended 8 or more glasses of water a day, and if skin still seems dry, add a humidifier to your home or office.
- If after due diligence, with balm and hydration, your lips are extremely chapped or cracked, you might check with your dermatologist to ensure it is not angular cheilitis, an inflammation or cracking near the corners of your mouth.
- Breathe through your nose! Open-mouth breathing takes the moisture with it; Plus, it can be impolite. The nose knows what to do.
- Eat nutrient-rich foods. Choose seasonally fresh fruits and vegetables, especially those that include skin-pleasing vitamins B and E.
Exercise and exfoliate
- A few exercises for fuller lips: Smile broadly with mouth closed, then pucker as much as possible and hold for 5 seconds. Relax. Repeat 10 times.
- Press your lips together with a straight smile, pulling from the corners with your finger. Hold for 5 seconds. Relax. Repeat 10 times.
- Select a good lip scrub and exfoliate once a week. This prevents build up and makes the balm more effective.
Trying these tips will get you softer lips that will look and feel great with your new, straighter SmileDirectClub smile.
Are You a Candidate For Invisible Aligners?