After you straighten your smile with invisible aligners, don’t forget your retainers. Here’s how SmileDirectClub retainers will help you maintain your new smile.
You have a straighter new smile and a lot to be proud of. You chose invisible aligners and were diligent in following your smile plan every step of the way. Now, you love looking in the mirror and can’t wait to show off your smile wherever you go. Make sure you preserve that smile you worked so hard to achieve by wearing custom retainers to keep your teeth in place.
Why should you wear retainers?
- Without retainers, teeth will move back to their original position.
- Like your aligners, retainers are custom-fitted for your new smile.
- Retainers are made from thicker plastic than aligners, keeping your teeth snugly in place.
Important things to keep in mind about your retainers
- Plan to wear them long-term. You and your retainers are in this for the long haul. Wear them all day and night, except when eating and drinking, for the first 2 weeks. Then, wear them every night for at least 8 hours.
- Follow the simple instructions included with your retainers.
- Clean them regularly to avoid plaque and bacteria buildup. Rinse with warm water when inserting and removing, and brush them gently with a soft toothbrush (no toothpaste, which can wear down your retainers). For a deeper clean, soak in a bowl of retainer cleaner.
- When not in your mouth, always keep your retainers in their case – no pockets, backpacks, or purses.
- Replace your retainers every 6 months to keep them tight-fitting.
Dental hygiene is a lifelong commitment. Keep up those good habits you formed during treatment and continue to brush at least twice a day, floss daily, eat smile-friendly foods, and continue those regular dental cleanings every 6 months. Show off that smile with pride, grinner.